Monday, October 21, 2013

Inside the Bag: A night in the ER

About 3 weeks ago, I had to check into the Emergency Room for the first time.  I had never been in the ER or hospital myself however, I had spend the last in and out of hospitals with my mother.  That night I was too scared and stressed to think clearly.  Looking back now, there are a few things I would have packed or left at home so that I could have been better prepared for the 20 hours of exams, tests, and waiting.  In case you ever need to be admitted to the ER, or are accompanying a loved one who is, here are a few ideas of what to include in your ER bag.


1.  The Bag

I recommend a large tote to carry all of your belongings in, such as Vera Bradley's "Get Carried Away Tote" which you can purchase here.  The worst thing for me was trying to remember to grab all of my smaller bags whenever I went for a test or moved to a different room.  Choosing a bag with multiple pockets will help you stay organized and, hopefully, decrease your stress level. 







2. Comfortable Clothing


The best decision I made was to wear my favorite sweatpants to the ER.  They provided me with warmth, comfort, and modesty under my hospital gown.  Victoria's Secret Boyfriend Pants are my all time favorite.  They come in so many colors and can be purchased here.  Do you have a different brand of sweatpants that you love?  Be sure to comment below and tell me all about them!







3. Fun Socks


Keep your toes warm and clean while showing off your personal style through out your hospital stay.  Not only are they perfect for protecting you against germs, they are also wonderful conversation starters!  Some of my favorite funky socks come from Forever 21.  They sell socks with animals, polka dots, stripes, and more!  Find your perfect pair here!





4. Tooth Brush


One thing that I forgot was my toothbrush.  In the scramble to get everything we needed, somehow hygiene slipped out minds.  I also recommend hairbrushes, clean undergarments, floss, any prescriptions that you take regularly, and lotion.  After a few hours in bed, these simple items would have made me feel a lot better.  Target is one of my favorite places to stock up on essentials such as these.  Where do you prefer to shop?





5. Eye Mask


Last, but not least, is the BEST thing I brought with me to the hospital, an eye mask.  With all of the lights, noises, and stress, it was extremely hard for me to sleep.  My eye mask allowed to be to find peace and quiet while my family read magazines or watched television.  I highly recommend that you pack an eye mask.





Have you ever been in the hospital or ER?  What was some of the things you brought with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment